Tuesday, April 24, 2012

DAY 4: Chicks Make Better Tractor Drivers: Especially When They Bury It In the Mud!

          I guess I will call yesterday Day 4, but with all of the intermittent rain creating a stop and go work environment around here, I am starting to lose track. Yesterday, the sun was shining bright, it was 80 degrees, and I harrowed my second field. The night prior, I was chatting with a friend in the store who assured me that I would learn to love driving tractor. I have to admit, I was skeptical, and the next morning my stomach hurt at just the thought of driving again. Thankfully, the Bosses dad was there to help me get started, and he even harrowed the most troublesome parts - the small sections of field which are boarded either by someone's wheat field, a drop-off bank, or a mud bog, which I like to call quick sand. Finally, at about 9:00 A.M., the Boss's Dad let me go on my own. My nerves were still shot, but again I recalled all of the times when I have had to learn something new in the past. I could do this. I knew I could, and if I didn't, well, it would give the Boss something to laugh about when we are older - way older! Remember the days when I tried to have you drive tractor, Dear. What a joke. You SUCKED! However, that little joke will not come to pass, because after an hour out there alone, I really did enjoy it and I think I did a pretty good job. Which reminded of a text that I received the other day from a girlfriend and confidant.

          This girl would have made a way better farm wife than I have, and probably a better farmer than most men in the county. That is why she is my confidant, because I know of all of my girlfriends, she understands the nuances of my cussing rants whenever I get irritated on the farm. She also understands the golden rule of farming alongside a farmer - complain to your girlfriend and NOT to your farmer. They are much to busy to hear a girl bitch about the fact that she is sick of grease in her hair! Girlfriends who have been raised on a farm, on the other hand, they will drive right over and wash your hair in Dawn dish soap if that is what gets you back out in that field!

          Anyway, one day as I was doubting abilities to my friend, she sent me this text: U've got the skills. u'll see :) u definitely rock tho!...women likely make better tractor drivers if only because we would ask ourselves if we can make it thru the mud bog - before the tractor is buried to the cab...oh, and if you bury it U R still cool 'cause U R a chick and you went for it!

          I had to share that one with the Boss, who wholeheartedly agreed. He said, that he knew that I would not get stuck. He says I am the first girl in the text. I'm cautious. Hell yeah I'm cautious! I don't want anyone taking photos of me and putting it up on the video screen of farmer-screw-ups they like to show at the local tavern. After all, I might have grease in my hair! Anyway, I digress, I didn't get stuck, but right after quitting time, which is 3 P.M. for me since I have to get the kiddos off of the bus, I turned the tractor over to the Boss's Dad. I wasn't two miles down the road when I get the call. He was stuck, big time! I'm smiling like crazy, because it wasn't me, but if it would have been,can you just imagine how cool I would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment