Sunday, September 4, 2011

AUGUST 27, 2011: Summer’s 11th Birthday


The numbers 4-3-0 are becoming my nemesis. So are the letter’s AM. I cannot figure out how our neighbors who pick Brett up every morning with their own young athletes in tow are always so chipper. All I care about is coffee and quiet time with my book. I finish Water for Elephants his morning. It was amazing. I don’t want to give away any of the book for those of you who might read it, but it is the type of ending that makes you think the author is selfless. That is all I’m going to say about that!
            After I finish the book, I stand up to face the reality of my own lack of water. Everything in the house is taking on a dusty look even if it is imagined by me. I believe I mentioned my OCD in a previous diary entry, and how I manage on most days with five kids to keep by reactions to my affliction under control. Let’s just say that the little devil on my shoulder is starting to squirm and my stomach is already turning in knots and this is only day two without water.
            I ignore the dust in favor of figuring out how to water my flower pots outside. Shelly spent so much time helping me put color around my house and with our minimal water on a normal day they aren’t exactly the best looking plants, but they are all I have. The thought of watching them die before September even hits makes me irritable at best. Finally, I come up with a solution. Pond water! I have about a 10% increase in good hormones just from doing this one little act!
            Thank goodness that sheep and pigs still have water. That is one less thing that I have to worry about since it could be 95 degrees today. The mud bog has a little water left in it as well, so the pigs will be able to cool themselves for today anyway.
            Wave took summer to breakfast for her birthday, so that gives me time to make lunches, do what cleaning I can and collect laundry. When Summer returns we all run to Tekoa to meet my family for lunch at C&D’s. It was good, but it took over two hours and we still have to wash pigs and figure out where to shower next.
            At the pig barn, we start to work Brett’s pig in the arena and realize that it is just too damn hot by now. Thank goodness Brett is in tune with his Dominess’s personality enough to realize that he was not just being stubborn. We barely got the pig back in the barn upon Brett’s insistence before the pig just about passed out. We spent the next hour cooling his nose with water in order to bring him back to life. I am starting to have breathing problems from the stress!
            After two overly fattening (but yummy) meals, Summer feels much the same way as Dominess, so we rush though showers at my grandmother’s house and then I bring her back home with orders that she is to stay the rest of her birthday on the couch, in the basement, where it is cool. I think she was fine with that.
            That afternoon, I went to Dick’s to refill the water jugs, return to heat water for dishes and somehow managed a spaghetti dinner. I will not stop cooking even without water. That would through me over the edge for sure. I finished the night by heating enough water to dump pans over Wave’s head again before we went to bed. Thank goodness there haven’t been many break downs or I might not be able to handle all of this for the next four days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment