Saturday, September 29, 2012

Are You Registered To Vote?

I normally don't get into politics on here, but since my son and I have been discussing the roll of government during the first part of school, and during the upcoming election, I thought I would add this little thought.

I double checked my voter registration at Colfax new Elections office on Friday. Have you checked yours?

I have always felt that my vote is not only my right; it's my responsibility to protect. And by that I mean that if I want to vote, I have to be the one to make sure that my vote counts.  As a part of the philosophy, I have always made sure that my registration is still in effect prior to each election. Four years ago, after voting in every primary and every race since I was 18, I mysteriously did not receive a ballot for the presidential election. I called the elections office and they said they would mail me another one. They did. No ballot. No explanation. As a result, I drove to the elections office and cast my ballot in person to be sure that my vote counted.

To this day, I have received all other ballots and I expect to receive the one for the upcoming election as well, but as a precaution I stopped in to the office ahead of the ballot mailing to be sure that there was no problem that I could head off now; a confusion over my address since there is another woman with the same name in my county, a signature issue, a red flag since I did have a problem four years ago. Anything that might hinder the only chance I have to give my opinion in the upcoming race for the presidency as well as so many of our other important offices.

According to the election official, all is well and I should receive my ballot. I expect that I will. However, even if I don't, I will be sure to follow up and make sure my vote counts. Why? Because it's not only my right, it's my responsibility to protect that right should I so choose to exercise it.

No comments:

Post a Comment